Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Rant on the Orange Box Set

So for the people that see no light of day or have l;ived in a cave for the last ten years, this year, there was the release of the orange box. The orange box, which included games like Counter Strike (a personal fav. of mine), Half Life, Half Life 2, Half Life Episodes 1 & 2, Portal, and the much awaited Team Fortress Classic. The crappy thing is that you had to buy them all in order to play any of the games, right? Well, when you have almost all of them, it seemed like a dumb thing to do, at least in my eyes.


So in order to get my fix of the games, I decided to borrow a buddy's copy for XBox 360 and give it the ole' college try. In doing so, I discovered that I felt that the orange set was a total waste. I didn't like the team fortress classic at all and I had all of the other games except portal. Where my gripe is is that everyone and their grandmother was praising this..... why?!?!?!?!?! I mean, I love the Half Life games, they are a great mixture of FPS and puzzles. But what is the hype over TFC? Seriously? The animation sucks and the I was bored with the game play. Plus, this kind of game seems like it would be better on the PC rather than the console. In the end, I could not justify paying for the almighty orange box. Thanks but no thanks.

Digg!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure what "Orange Box" you have been playing, but the Orange Box the rest of the world has does not contain Counter Strike, or Half Life, and it has Team Fortress 2 rather than Team Fortress Classic.

If you already have HL2 Episodes 1 & 2, and Team Fortress 2, then the solution here is simple. Don't buy the Orange Box.

If, like me and a lot of other people, the buck stopped at Half Life 2, then the Orange Box is actually well worth it. If you don't have one or all of these games, then get it, because it's the cost of just a normal game, with five of the best titles of the past few years inside. Portal is worth the price of admission alone, frankly.

I have it on Xbox 360 and I've not had as much fun playing for a long time. Replaying Half Life 2 but in the living room is a fun experience, while Episodes 1 & 2 are very enjoyable. Portal is probably the best game in the box and has become a worldwide phenominon in it's own right, and as for Team Fortress 2, it makes my Xbox Live subscription worth it.

It seems to me that you've decided to lay into the Orange Box while having no idea what you're talking about, for reasons I don't quite understand. Getting the contents of the box completely wrong is a good example of this. Also, you can't critisise a game because, for example, you already own it. It's daft logic.

The Thrizzle said...

Thanks for the contribution to the conversation. I merely have played the game, not purchased it for the X Box 360. From my take, what I wrote and notice is that I was incorrect in some of the game titles included. I love the Half Life Games and Counterstrike games. As for Portal and the episodes, gotta say that I was just not impressed, that is all. Not to mention that Team Fortress 2 just does nothing for me at all. That is all. Maybe I will try and redo the post to mention this. Thanks for the comment!