Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Unfortunate Consequence of Trying Out RC's

So I am always up for trying some new things, like food, games, and even software. Well, with Microsoft, it has been hit or miss. With their beta release or RC of Vista, to their Windows Home Server, to lastly their service pack 3 for XP. You never know what your going to get.

With the release candidate for Vista, the usual disappointments were there at 1st. No driver support for most items, I had a hell of a time trying to get certain components detected or working properly. Second was the compatibility of older programs with the newer operating system. Some software worked great for awhile and then just shutdown with exception errors....this proved to eb the biggest problem of them all for me. And lastly, the hardware upgrades that were necessary for the launch of Windows Vista. My current system at the time of the test passed, but not by much and the video card would have worked, but not with the DX10 functionality....which will not suit me when DX10 games come out (at the time).

Windows Home Server was a whole new thing to me. I usually just had a machine running a copy of XP and had it networked as shares for me to use as storage. In the case of the Windows Home Server, it gave you back up software that was easy to use and pretty self explanatory. On top of that, it allowed me to have it for all of my systems with connector software. Anyone on the network could pull or upload to it. making for a great system to have. Currently, I have had no issues in the installation process and or the maintenance of the system, thus proving to be a good solid system so far.

Lastly, is the the dreaded Windows XP Service Pack 3. This little gem, according to Microsoft, was supposed to improve efficiency by upwards of 10%. No so much the case for me and my systems. In fact, during boot-ups, my experience have been much longer and I have not seen any optimization of network processes or hardware detection. This, so far, is not what it has been toted to be and is a flop in my eyes. Only time will tell when the full service pack comes out.




Digg!

No comments: